Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What This Guide Can Offer You
The Okinawa Environmental Issues Guide has three pages:
- Homepage - National & Prefectural Parks in Okinawa, Open-access resources on environmental issues in Okinawa
- Governmental Resources Page - Okinawa Prefectural Government & its Municipalities resources on environmental issues in Okinawa
- Various Environment-Related Organizations Page - Organizations in Okinawa, outside Okinawa in Japan and worldwide working on nature conservation (coral, dugoing, mangrove and other wildlife) and a variety of environmental issues (water and soil pollution, education, justice0
National & Prefectural Parks in Okinawa
National Parks in Okinawa / 沖縄県の自然公園
Prefectural Parks in Okinawa / 沖縄県の県立公園
GW-subscribed Databases (Login required)
Asahi Shimbun Onrain Kiji Detabesu (朝日新聞オンライン記事データべース) This link opens in a new windowKikuzo II Visual (朝日新聞オンライン記事データべース) is one of the largest newspaper article databases in Japan, with over eight million articles from over 130 years of the Asahi Shimbun newspaper. The database also includes Who's Who and Historical Photo Archives.
Japan Times Digital Archive This link opens in a new window
Searchable full-image archive of this English-language newspaper published in Japan from its inception in 1897 through 2020.
Nikkei Telecom21 (日経テレコン21) This link opens in a new windowMajor database from Japan focusing on business and economics. Some titles available from 1876. Content in Japanese from a wide variety of national, local and technical newspapers, statistical and corporate sources. Content in English is from major Nikkei publications and national newspapers (Asahi, Yomiuri, Mainichi) as well as from major newspapers in Singapore (The Straits Times, The Business Times), Malaysia (New Straits Times, Business Times Malaysia, Bernama News), Indonesia (The Jakarta Post, Antara News), Vietnam (Viet Nam News), Thailand (Bangkok Post), Mongolia (Montsame Daily News), Taiwan (Want China Times, Focus Taiwan), China (People’s Daily Online) and Korea (Maeil Business Newspaper, Korea JoongAng Daily) among others.
Okinawa Times Please use Nikkei Telecom21 for Okinawa Times materials.
Ryukyu Shimpo Please use Nikkei Telecom21 for Ryukyu Shimpo materials.
Yomiuri Online (Yomidas Rekishikan) This link opens in a new windowFull-text of the Yomiuri Shimbun from 1874 to present, the Daily Yomiuri & its English equivalent, and a biographical dictionary of modern Japanese figures. Full-text searching is available from Sept. 1986 to present.
Agricultural & Environmental Science Database This link opens in a new windowThis database includes the renowned AGRICOLA, TOXLINE, ESPM
(Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management) and Environmental Impact
Statements (EIS) databases and provides full-text titles from around the world, including scholarly journals, trade and industry journals, magazines, technical reports, conference proceedings, and government publications. This database includes specialized, editorially curated A&I resources covering such topics as the effects of pollution on people and animals and environmental action and policy responses. Coverage: 1960-current.
BioOne This link opens in a new windowAccess to scholarly journals in the biological, ecological and environmental sciences. A joint project by SPARC (the Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition), the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS), and other partners.
ClimateWire This link opens in a new windowMonitors information on all matters related to climate change and its effects on business, the environment and society.
Environmental Impact Statements (ProQuest) This link opens in a new windowThe National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) requires that U.S. federal agencies or anyone receiving federal funding prepare detailed analyses of any of their actions that significantly affect the quality of the environment. Abstracts available back to 1985; the full-text, including maps and SIS, is available for statements issued in and since 2003.
Gale Primary Sources This link opens in a new windowIntegrated research environment that allows users to search across all of Gale primary source collections.
GEOBASE This link opens in a new windowAvailable through Engineering Village. GEOBASE is a multidisciplinary database of indexed research literature on the earth sciences, including geology, human and physical geography, environmental sciences, oceanography, geomechanics, alternative energy sources, pollution, waste management and nature conservation.
Online Open-Access Resources
University of the Ryukyus Repository/琉球大学学術リポジトリ
- To change the interface in Japanese, click 'Japanese' in the top bar.
- Repository from a dozen departments of the University of the Ryukyus (e.g. Law, Medicine, Science, Agriculture, Engineering)
沖縄地域学レポジトリ/Okinawa Repository Integrated Open-Access Network) (ORION)
- Collection of online academic articles, bulletin papers, research materials from Okinawa Prefecture including universities, vocational schools, various research centers.
- British environmental magazine
- published in paper fro 1970-2009; online since 2009
- address a wide range of environmental subjects and promote ecological systems
- Subtitle of this online magazine "Building awareness, Accountability & Assistance to People Exposed to Toxic Contamination Aboard U.S. Military Installations"
- Researches focus on all kinds of contaminations
- One of their research categories is focus on Okinawa
as a military contamination site. Some of the articles are reported by Mr. Jon Mitchell, a British journalist. See his FOIA documents collection
donated to GW Okinawa Collection.
- Manuscripts on all aspects of environmental and occupational medicine and related studies in toxicology and epidemiology
・Documentary film "Our Island's Treasure"
This film focuses on the current destruction of the beautiful Okinawan ocean in Henoko and the fight by native Uchinanchu people to protect it. This is an emergency. ~ by Kaiya Yonamine ~ (Uploaded with Ms. Yonamine's permission)