Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Best Places to Start - Online
NIST Atomic Spectra Database.
This database provides access and search capability for NIST critically evaluated data on atomic energy levels, wavelengths, and transition probabilities that are reasonably up-to-date.
Integrated spectral data base system for organic compounds sponsored by the National Institute of Materials and Chemical Research in Japan (NMR and MS). Searchable by compound name, molecular formula, molecular weight, CAS Registry Number, number of atoms, and ppm.
This site from the National Center for Manufacturing Services provides property data on solvents.
NIST Chemistry WebBook
The NIST Chemistry WebBook contains thermochemical and thermophysical data, several types of spectral data, and solubility data. Information is continually being added. Searches can be done by the specific chemical or by the type of data desired.
Periodic Table of the Elements
Make use of the basic periodical table or click on individual elements for extensive information including properties, appearance, occurrence, history, and uses.
Best Places to Start in Print
- Spectral Atlas of Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds, W. Karcher, et.al., eds., 1985.
- Location: STACKS QD 341 .H9 S6354 1985
- Handbook of basic tables for chemical analysis 2nd ed., Thomas J. Bruno, Paris D.N. Svoronos, 2004.
- Location: REF QD 78 .B78 2004
- Includes sections on UV spectrophotometry, infrared spectrophotometry, NMR spectroscopy, mass spectroscopy, and atomic absorption and emission spectrometry.
- Atlas of Spectral Data and Physical Constants for Organic Compounds 2nd ed. Jeanette G. Grasselli and William M. Ritchley, ed., 1975.
- Location: STACKS QD 257.7 .G7 1975
- A six volume set which gives data on 21,000 common organic compounds. Indexed by compound name, molecular formula, molecular weight, mass spectral data, and characteristic physical constants.
- The Handbook of Infrared and Raman Spectra of Inorganic Compounds and Organic Salts, Richard A. Nyquist, Curtis L. Putzig, and M. Anne Leugers, 1997.
- Location: REF QC457 .N927 1997
- A four volume set.
- Handbook of Spectroscopy, James W. Robinson, 1974.
- Location: STACKS QD 95 .H27
- A three volume set giving data on important compounds from all major fields of spectroscopy.
- Tables of Spectral Data for Structure Determination of Organic Compounds, 2nd ed., Pretsch et al., 1989.
- Location: STACKS QC 462.85 .T313 1989
- Includes sections on 13C-NMR Spectroscopy, Proton Resonance Spectroscopy, Mass Spectrometry, and UV/Visible Spectroscopy.