Skip to main content

Government Information: Getting Started

Gelman Library has been a U.S. Federal Depository Library since 1984. As a selective depository, the Library receives only some of the documents published by the government, chosen to support the research and teaching mission of the University.

FDSYS

Search for government publications at FDSYS, the Government Printing Office's search engine.

Depository Information

All documents except for Congressional materials are shelved according to their subject on the 4th, 5th and 6th floors of Gelman. 

Members of the general public may use the U.S. Depository materials by identifying their need at the Access Services Desk at the entrance of the library.

Threat Level

Finding GovDocs

Gelman Library has been a U.S. Federal Depository Library since 1984. As a selective depository, the Library receives only some of the documents published by the government, chosen to support the research and teaching mission of the University. Gelman only collects 23% of all documents published by the Government Printing Office. For the other 77%, and most documents published before 1984, please visit our Regional Depository, McKeldin Library at the University of Maryland.

Also, consult The Government Documents Center at University of Michigan.

 

Search Electronically

Most current government documents are published electronically and freely available on the web.

WRLC catalog search

Search for books in the catalog

Subject Guide

Tina Plottel
JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.
Contact:
Gelman Library
2130 H St. NW
Washington DC 20052
202-994-2294
GW Libraries • 2130 H Street NW • Washington DC 20052202.994.6558refdesk@gwu.edu